• Football
    • Soccer
    • Spartan Spotlight

More firsts in sight for Spartans

Sonya Narla

Issue date: 8/28/09 Section: Soccer

In 2007, the women's soccer team tied and held off the University of Rochester for the first time in six years. In 2008, the Spartans upset the College of Wooster for the first time in five years. Expect to see more impressive headlines this year - women's soccer is back this season and more than ready to continue the climb to the top.

The Spartans have a solid lineup with returning starters and incoming freshman. Lead scorer and All-UAA conference honorable mention Ana Arruda will be back this season, as well as sophomore Laura Gabster, who not only saw the most playing time last season, but also served as the solid anchor in the defensive line. Also returning to the Spartan squad this year are two key players who were absent from last season; senior Caroline Garber and junior Amy Bishara. Garber earned All-UAA honorable mention honors in 2007 and was an important force in the starting lineup. Bishara led the team with seven goals and also earned All-UAA honorable mention honors in the 2007 season. With Garber and Bishara returning, the Spartans gain back two skilled and experienced players.

This season the women's soccer team faces tough UAA powerhouse teams like Washington University in St. Louis and the University of Chicago. Almost half of the UAA conference schools rank in the top 25 of the NCAA Division III pre season poll. Though the Spartans were unable to win a UAA conference match last season, and though the face a tough lineup again this year, there is no doubt that they can pull off a great season. Look back to last season's unforgettable matchup against nationally ranked No. 8 Washington University in St. Louis - the Spartans outplayed WashU and held the lead for the majority of the game. However, after WashU came back, the Case team suffered a heartbreaking loss, though their level of play certainly proved that the Spartans deserved to win. If the Spartans come out to play like this for the UAA games this season, expect to see the conference wins stacking up. The Spartans face WashU again this season October 16, and will have the opportunity to take back the win they were robbed of last season. This season looks promising, not only because of the improving momentum from the past two seasons, but also because the Spartans appear to have real depth and experience this year. The Spartans tend to do well in the non-conference games, as demonstrated by their memorable win against Wooster last season. This season, however, the Spartans have a good shot at breaking into the conference games and coming out with some wins. If they can accomplish this, there will be no turning back from an amazing season.

At a Glance
Women's Soccer

Player to watch: Junior Amy Bishara, back from missing a season, previous lead scorer and starter in 2007
Key game: Washington University in St. Louis - the Spartans have the chance to take back the win they deserve.
Comment: This could be the deal-breaking season. If the Spartans can come out with some conference wins, the positive outlook of the women's soccer program will be solidified.

• A conversation with Major Jason Winterle
  • Budgeting 101 for college students
  • Case holds first annual Campus Security Fair
  • Case Western prepares to serve community
  • Have you heard about ACM?
  • Nursing "freshmen stimulus" provides support for incoming students, provokes unease
  • USG Briefs

• Club sports & news
  • Fantasy Football
  • Gameday
  • Volleyball goes 3-1 at Wooster
  • Women's soccer takes two at JCU

• Crossword Solution
  • Maze Solution
  • Sudoku Solutions

• "You lie:" an old-fashioned outburst
  • Buenos Aires: most romantic city?
  • Editorial: Student groups deserve credit for programming
  • Learning to be responsible
  • Letters to the Editor
  • Letters to the Editor
  • State your case photos: What would you do with an Inamori Ethics Prize?

• All's Well in CWRU MFA/Cleveland Playhouse production of overlooked Shakespeare classic
  • Dittrick Medical History Center reopens exhibit on history of contraception
  • Fashion for the frugal: look stylish on a budget
  • Hitting the Spot: The Antlers
  • Making breakfast work for you: getting a grip on granola
  • Nintendo DS game mixes strategy and traditional RPG elements for unique, timesaving gameplay
  • The Worst Case Scenario
  • Trail of Dead coming to Cleveland

Football

• Whalen becomes all-time passing leader in win over Rochester

Sex and Dating

• Executing the first date

Soccer

• Stopped at nothing: Spartans shut out No. 21 Ohio Northern

Spartan Spotlight

• Spartan Spotlight: Andrea Wojtowicz