• USG Briefs
    • Worst Case Scenario

Editorial: Semester grades

Security: B is for Better. Campus security and safety is one thing we begin to take for granted when we don't hear about problems for a while. Yet the recent addition of the Safe Ride Van, which provides night transportation for students, and increasing public knowledge of the Case WARN system both can give students some peace of mind not derived from an absence of security alerts in their inbox.

We have heard student complaints about being denied access to the Safe Ride Van or escorts because of alleged "overuse." In such instances, Protective Services should be adapting to the demand of these services rather than denying them to those who use them frequently.

New student center: I is for Incomplete. It's hard to believe that as recently as spring 2007, Case had plans for a new student center to have broken ground by last fall. Clearly, those designs for a $40 million, 75,000 square-foot hub for students and campus offices have been pushed back for a while. A new "University Center," as CWRU's five-year strategic plan calls it, is still on its way, but it now looks to be much further off than those early, optimistic plans indicated.

Maintenance: F is for Flooding. We don't want to peg the problem here solely on those responsible for building maintenance, as many factors contributed to the flooding problems in freshman residence halls and several other campus buildings after pipes burst early this year.

Still, many students complained of standing water for days after the actual damage was done, and repairs in PBL were extended due to the building's unique design. If a similar situation occurs in the future, we hope it won't catch anyone off guard.

Administration raises: A is for Admirable. It was a good gesture by Case's administration to go without raises for this year so that money could be put to use elsewhere. Still, it's no secret that upper administration won't exactly be feeling a big sting from holding off on raises for a year. Ideally, this is the beginning of similar initiatives during continuing tough times, and not the extent of them.

Green initiatives: S is for Satisfactory. There is definitely cause to be optimistic about Case's future when it comes to environmentally sound initiatives. The Village at 115 was LEED-certified last year, and the university improved its grade to B- on the Sustainable Endowments Institute's Sustainability Report Card. If possible, we could do without the giant frog banners - a subtler marketing campaign might be nice.

Additionally, research on alternative energy sources has been identified as a major focus in the five-year strategic plan. It has been encouraging to see Case's Great Lakes Energy Institute get off the ground, and we hope to see that growth continue.

• Alum shares experience as legal clerk for Supreme Court Justice
  • Forgotten legends: the blockade of Euclid Avenue
  • Hudson Relays
  • Planning ahead with life insurance
  • Second annual Relay For Life raises over $88,000
  • Showing off: Research ShowCASE provides opportunity to present latest research
  • Source of success: fifth annual SOURCE Symposium celebrates students' research

The Buzz

USG Briefs

Worst Case Scenario

• Worst Case Scenario: 2009-10 preview

• Baseball: Spartans lose to Wooster at Progressive Field
  • Seven-to-five job
  • Softball: Spartan bats silent against Bluffton
  • Spartan Spotlight: Allen Ye
  • Top 10 Spartan sports stories of 2008 - 2009
  • What to watch for this summer

• Sudoku Solutions

• Case Culture: Summer break shouldn't break your back
  • Editorial: Semester grades
  • Global Scorning: Earth Day: Don't assume it's only about "flower power"
  • Red, White, and Skewed: So many crises, so little time

• Alternative Press editor offers disappointing analysis of scene culture
  • Case alumnus Girl Talk returns for end-of-year blowout
  • Cleveland Museum of Art hosts unique exhibition of powerful African artwork
  • Juggling Club's end of year spectacular wows audience with skill
  • Sex and Dating: Remembering those who matter
  • Spartans of Style: What not to wear
  • Stand-up comedy show tonight