• USG Briefs
    • Worst Case Scenario

Second annual Relay For Life raises over $88,000

Ross Wasserstrom

• 2 of 2
According to the Relay For Life committee, 1054 members of the Case community signed up and participated in the relay. Some teams bought lap counters through an on-site fundraiser from the Functional Electrical Stimulation Center. By the end of the relay, teams with lap counters had accumulated more than 2000 laps.

Besides team and individual contributions, companies and campus groups raised money through more active means. Residence Hall Association, Undergraduate Student Government, Costco, Chipotle, and many other organizations sold raffle tickets and memorabilia, among many other fundraising endeavors. Several local restaurants donated a combined 90 pizzas for the Midnight Pizza Party, one of the fraternities held a Euchre tournament and donated the proceeds, and several of Case's varsity sports teams held free clinics for kids on Saturday morning.

Kathleen Valdez, president of RHA's Adelbert Complex and member of RHA's Adelbert/Murray Hill relay team, said, "The most important reason we formed a team was to promote advocacy. So many people have had some experience with cancer; we want to show the campus that we care." She continued that "taking the time to do something about it is what matters most."

While many participants said showing support and solidarity was important, the responsibilities of team captain were demanding. "Almost too many people wanted to participate on our team," said Kurt Gilbert, captain of the varsity track team. "We had to organize more than 30 people into 30-minute shifts, just to make sure everyone got a chance to walk."

Not every team needed large numbers to complete the relay, though. Blaine Evans, the only participant in Case's Relay For Life to walk the entire eighteen hours last year and a member of Theta Chi's relay team, was committed to accomplishing the same feat again: "Although someone close to me died of cancer, I like to think I am walking for everyone fighting it." Evans walked 54 miles last year, and suffered severe hypoglycemia when he stopped walking. Undeterred, Evans completed all 18 hours of the relay again, although he walked fewer miles in 2009 to balance commitment and personal risk. Theta Chi's team raised approximately $2000 for the relay.

Globally, Relay For Life has one of the lowest levels of overhead among major fundraising events. This is due to the flexible acceptance of donation methods by the American Cancer Society, and the franchised nature of Relay for Life. At Case, for example, Undergraduate Student Government and University Program Board donated money for specific costs such as stage and equipment rentals. The committee also garnered many donations of food from restaurants and most of the work was done by volunteers. As much as 90 percent of all money donated directly to Relay for Life will support cancer patients and research.
2 of 2

• Alum shares experience as legal clerk for Supreme Court Justice
  • Forgotten legends: the blockade of Euclid Avenue
  • Hudson Relays
  • Planning ahead with life insurance
  • Second annual Relay For Life raises over $88,000
  • Showing off: Research ShowCASE provides opportunity to present latest research
  • Source of success: fifth annual SOURCE Symposium celebrates students' research

The Buzz

USG Briefs

Worst Case Scenario

• Worst Case Scenario: 2009-10 preview

• Baseball: Spartans lose to Wooster at Progressive Field
  • Seven-to-five job
  • Softball: Spartan bats silent against Bluffton
  • Spartan Spotlight: Allen Ye
  • Top 10 Spartan sports stories of 2008 - 2009
  • What to watch for this summer

• Sudoku Solutions

• Case Culture: Summer break shouldn't break your back
  • Editorial: Semester grades
  • Global Scorning: Earth Day: Don't assume it's only about "flower power"
  • Red, White, and Skewed: So many crises, so little time

• Alternative Press editor offers disappointing analysis of scene culture
  • Case alumnus Girl Talk returns for end-of-year blowout
  • Cleveland Museum of Art hosts unique exhibition of powerful African artwork
  • Juggling Club's end of year spectacular wows audience with skill
  • Sex and Dating: Remembering those who matter
  • Spartans of Style: What not to wear
  • Stand-up comedy show tonight