ITS prepares for mail switch

Svetlana Binshtok

On May 18, Case's ITS department will complete the final switch from Case's current e-mail server, known as the iPlanet Management System, to Google's mail system.

Case currently supplies its own e-mail service, which is stored on a server. While some students have already begun to utilize Google mail instead of iPlanet, starting May 18, all students will automatically be integrated into the new Google mail system.

Google Apps offers several notable improvements over Case's old mail system, including 7.3 gigabytes of storage, a simple interface, and spam filters.

Case ITS employees have spent a lot of time updating filters and maintaining the old mail system, so the outsource to Google does mean some changes will take place. However, the outsourcing of these tasks won't mean anything as dramatic as lost jobs, said ITS project manager Peggy Watts Gup.

"No one is getting let go," Gup explained. "We have more work than we can handle, so this will free up a person who can work on other projects that are more worth their time."

Along with the use of the Google Mail system, students will have full access to all Google Apps, including the instant messaging system and an application called Google Sites. This application creates a collaborative space for students to work together on projects or anything else they may need.

The deadline for this transition is approaching soon, but it has been a long time coming. This change wasn't necessary a long time ago because many students didn't have a personal e-mail address when they came to college. Now, it's rare to find a student without one, so it's important to have an e-mail system that easily integrates with students' personal accounts.

In addition, the ITS department wanted something with simplistic integration thatoffered everything desired with the least problems. They determined that Google Apps was the answer.

If students don't switch to the Google system by May 18, ITS will make the transition for them. Students shouldn't count on this, however, because the forwarding of Case e-mail to other accounts stands the chance of being disrupted, and the address book from the Case account will be lost. Students are urged to take a couple of minutes to transfer information to the new email system ahead of time, in order to assure that everything goes where it should.

Graduate and undergraduate students will be sent several e-mails in the coming weeks that will remind and instruct them how to change over to the new system.

Faculty and staff don't have to complete their transition until February 1, 2010, but many faculty members in the graduate schools have already made the switch.

Incoming freshmen and those who started their CWRU careers in January are automatically enrolled in the Google system, but all other students have to do this manually. It is valuable for graduating seniors to do this as well, because it will allow them to keep their Case email addresses after graduation.

The school doesn't have to pay to use the Google system, and there are no advertisements in the side bar. As Gup said "Everything is there."

For more information and tools to transfer mail, visit http://www.case.edu/its/services/GoogleApps.htm.

• From newspapers to the net: famed editor delivers lecture on future of journalism
      • G20 protest in London: A firsthand account
      • ITS prepares for mail switch
      • New USG president to be chosen tonight: Douglas or Pinder
      • Sigma Phi Epsilon, Phi Mu win Greek Week competition
      • Understanding car insurance
      • Village at 115 awarded LEED Silver rating

• Baseball: Spartans bring brooms vs. Bethany, Grove City
      • Softball gets out of jams, into wins
      • Spartan Spotlight: Clay Hurley
      • Tennis: Women snap losing streak
      • Track & Field: Women's track takes fifth, men take ninth at DePauw
      • Ultimate: Women Gobies have fighting chance at regionals
      • Water polo workhorses

• Sudoku Answers

• Community Supported Agriculture benefits both consumers, farmers
      • Don't let weather dictate your mood
      • Editorial: Administration should take responsibility for CSP
      • Students find motivation to serve in local, international efforts
      • Test bank not issue of Greeks versus non-Greeks
      • Coverage of AIB was slanted
      • Progress on test bank available

• Andrew Bird charms crowd with musicianship, melody and humor
      • CIM Orchestra to hold inspirational concert at Severance
      • Eldred delivers a solid ensemble performance with their latest, Stage Door
      • New movie review site combines Facebook with Rotten Tomatoes
      • Secret Ingredient: Pineapple
      • Sex and Dating: Serial Monogamy
      • Spartans of Style: Back to the '80s