Men's Basketball: Spartans get happy ending against Emory

Issue date: 3/6/09 Section: Sports
Tom Summers tallied nine points and seven rebounds in the Spartans' 76-65 win over Emory on Friday.
Media Credit: Zhaoyang Wang

Although an 8-17 overall record may seem far from showing signs of progress, records never fully tell the story of a team. The Spartans (8-17, 5-9 UAA) ended their season on a high note against Emory University by winning 76-65 in Atlanta, Ga., giving this season's Spartans the most conference wins this millennium. "The whole team got together in Emory. We put a pie in Coach's face, but he was a pretty good sport about it," said senior Steve Young.

Despite a roller-coaster season with more lows than highs, the Spartans consistently played with excitement and passion. Coach Sean McDonnell noted, "Our team improved this season and had some memorable wins. We had four wins versus nationally ranked opponents and finished ahead of Emory and NYU in the UAA standings." In addition, the Spartans demonstrated that they have the ability and talent to step on the court against any team and have a chance to win. They held their ground for the most part against WashU, the defending Div. III NCAA champions, despite dropping both games.

Unfortunately, during the season the Spartans also failed to capitalize on golden opportunities. "We had a few leads get away from us during UAA play. Most notably...the home games versus Brandeis, NYU, and Rochester," said McDonnell.

However, the Spartans' win against Emory University shows why the future looks bright for Case Western Reserve. Sophomore Reid Anderson fittingly scored a career-high 28 points off 9-14 shooting in the last game of the season. In the first game of the season, Anderson, a transfer student from the University of Albany, introduced himself to Spartan fans by scoring 22 points.

"Reid Anderson will be the one to step up. He's one of the oldest guys. I can see him taking the leadership role because he's vocal on and off the court," said Young.

Kevin Herring also shined during the season, justifying being selected as UAA Rookie of the Year last year. Herring's most memorable moment occurred on Valentine's Day weekend when he drained a three-pointer with zeroes on the shot clock, a three-pointer that cemented a Spartan win against the University of Chicago.

Tom Summers stood out as a consistent starter for this year's set of freshman. "Starting as a freshman in the UAA while playing against many teams' best players is not easy, and Tom handled that role very well," said McDonnell.

Although the Spartans will have more experience next year, they will also be losing three seniors: Young, Rob Skuski, and Brad Sutton. Young, who is second all-time in three-pointers for the Spartans, finished his career with 1053 points. Because the Spartans will be losing both of their team co-captains (Young and Skuski), the team hopes to receive good leadership from current sophomores and juniors.

• E.O. Wilson delivers Distinguished Lecture
  • Have you heard about: Student Executive Council?
  • Research at Case: Indian philosophy
  • The Internet and your finances
  • University continues to look for input on SAGES
  • USG � BRIEF
  • USG's Student Life Improvement Grant delayed, but still moving

• Baseball: Spartans split No. 10 Wooster
  • Men's Basketball: Spartans get happy ending against Emory
  • MLB Preview: Angels will continue to dominate AL West
  • Softball Preview: Young, small squad and interim head coach hope to come together
  • Spartan Spotlight: Phil Keefe
  • Track & Field: Nwanna mastering all trades
  • Women's basketball struggles in second half, falls to Emory

• Sudoku Answers

• Chimp mauling, octomom clog Congressional operations
  • Editorial: Grant selection process needs refinement
  • Good night's sleep brings health, success

• Local artist opens tongue-in-cheek exhibit at AAWR
  • Memoir strays from current popular topics, brings refreshing take to genre
  • Sex and Dating: The benefits of casual sex
  • Spartans of Style: Picking the perfect suit
  • Spring break 2009: a slice of Case students' travel plans
  • The Secret Ingredient: Tart and tangy grapefruit
  • The Worst Case Scenario: Enjoying Cleveland in the spring
  • U2 expands Horizon with experimental album
  • Watchmen delivers on hype, lives up to comics