USG • BRIEF

Gillian Seaman

President Snyder and provost Baeslack paid a visit to the USG GA meeting last Tuesday. Topics discussed included the Amethyst Initiative referendum and current plans to increase diversity on campus.
Media Credit: James Cash

The Undergraduate Student Government had several special visitors this Tuesday, Oct. 14 at its general assembly meeting. CWRU president Barbara Snyder introduced Case Western Reserve's new provost, William "Bud" Baeslack III, to the general assembly.

The two stayed for a question-and-answer session during the open forum part of the meeting, where numerous addressed subjects included homecoming, the Amethyst Initiative referendum, the attraction of new staff to campus, and the continued diversification of the student body.

Snyder began the open forum by praising USG for their participation in a great homecoming. Such participation "says so much about who we are as members of CWRU," she said. She also went on to issue a "special thank you" to the students who participated in Case for Community Day.

The representatives then went on to question Snyder about the Amethyst Initiative. USG's recent Amethyst Initiative referendum passed, with a total of 689 votes for to 99 votes against. The referendum requests that Snyder add her name to the list of other presidents willing to discuss the drinking age. Although Snyder expressed that she definitely supports a dialogue, she and others have been discussing whether or not it is actually best to join the Amethyst Initiative. Snyder stated that the university was in "a rebuilding mode reputation-wise" and the negative publicity that would come from such groups as Mothers Against Drunk Driving may not be worth joining the initiative. The most important thing to Snyder, she said, is that "our students are safe."

Provost Baeslack discussed the attraction of new professors to campus, stating that CWRU needed to continue to be aggressive. In Baeslack's opinion, what attracts new professors to a campus is not simple monetary benefits, but the faculty and overall student body.

Both Snyder and Baeslack answered questions about the continued diversification of the CWRU student body. The school is currently hiring a vice president of Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunity. Baeslack stressed the importance of holding the totality of the leadership team accountable for the diversification of campus, while Snyder expressed that "they are willing to wait for the right person" to fill the VP position.

After the open forum, the general assembly dealt with the upcoming Pizzalympics, a referendum, and a bill. The Pizzalympics will be held next Thursday in the Thwing ballroom from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. There will be numerous vendors present, and the students will vote which pizza is the best. The vendors will also be distributing coupons, and it is highly recommended that everyone arrive early.

Referendum 18-07, which dealt with a recommendation to improve recycling efforts in Greek houses, was referred back to the student life committee for revision. Bill 18-05, which was designed to recognize additional student organizations and to provide additional funding to recognized organizations, was passed.

• Demolition or renovation of Morley building may cost university
  • Have you heard about: Case Dagorhir?
  • Nancy Pelosi visits campus to learn about Great Lakes Institute for Energy Innovation
  • RAD course offers students basic self-defense training
  • Relay for Life hosts kickoff event
  • RTA's Euclid Corridor Project nears completion
  • Student loans: federal vs. private
  • USG � BRIEF

• Cross Country: Men join women on top at All-Ohios
  • LBJ would be great TE
  • Men's Soccer: Spartans don't give or get goal in Brandeis tie
  • Solid 28-7 win keeps Spartans undefeated
  • Spartan Notebook
  • Spartan Spotlight: Jeff Brown
  • Volleyball drops two in weekend tri-match
  • Women's Soccer: Nothing appealing about loss to Judges

• Sudoku #1 Answers
  • Sudoku Answers #2

• Country visit results in different view of British
  • Editorial: Sculpture collection needs better presentation
  • Either candidate has chance to win in November election
  • Plug-in hybrids not safest choice for drivers

• After years under the radar, Brett Dennen releases new album to rave reviews
  • GLTF shines with other half of fall repertory
  • Just in Case: Worried about partying pals
  • Oliver Stone's W. falls short of expectations
  • Sex and Dating: Avoiding awkward hookups
  • The Secret Ingredient: The many flavors of pumpkin
  • Worst Case Scenario: Stifling the big-word urge
  • Zombie Survival Guide author charismatically entertains Case Western Reserve students