Women's Soccer: Early lead slips away in loss to NYU

Sonya Narla

Issue date: 10/10/08 Section: Sports
Case midfielder Amy Baumann and NYU's Laura Palumbo leap for the ball during Saturday's 2-1 loss to the Violets. Baumann played for the entire 90 minutes.
Media Credit: Shane Lu

After a solid 3-0 win against Penn State Behrend this past Wednesday, the Spartans prepared to face New York University in their first UAA (University Athletic Association) game on Saturday. The game was bound to be competitive; NYU had won eight straight games so far this season, and beat the Spartans 4-0 in New York last season. On the other hand, the Spartans ended last season in a stimulating 1-1 tie against the University of Rochester, a UAA powerhouse team. The Spartans, however, ended up losing in a close 2-1 match against NYU this Homecoming weekend. The first half began fiercely as NYU came out with five shots in the first ten minutes. The Spartans' defensive line, playing in the flat-back-three formation and consisting of seniors Liz Altenau and Caitlin Miller and freshman Laura Gabster, was unyielding to the NYU attack. While the team worked hard to hinder NYU's momentum, the Spartans also worked to possess the ball and respond with their own attack. Their efforts paid off; Ana Arruda scored unassisted at the 11:08 mark of the first half to get the first goal of the match. Arruda gained possession of the ball and tactically maneuvered past NYU defenders to get the finish. It was Arruda's seventh goal of the season. The game proceeded with aggressive play from both teams, and the half ended 1-0, Spartans. In the second half, the Spartans tried to maintain the lead, but NYU senior Sarah Pillemer found the back of the net twice. Pillemer scored for NYU at the 60:58 mark off of a post-corner kick play, and once again at 79:16 after NYU won a 50-50 ball. NYU outshot the Spartans significantly in the second half; NYU had eight shots while the Spartans had none. After Pillemer's two goals, the Spartans put in effort to tie up the game as they fought towards the goal and worked hard to score, but the NYU defense did not allow this to happen.
Senior goalkeeper Kirsten McClain had an impressive eight saves in the game, and freshmen Alexandra Litofsky and Laura Gabster started and played the entire 90 minutes. Despite the loss, the Spartans have already improved greatly this season - they have won six games so far, already tying the number of last season's wins. The Spartans play their next UAA game on Saturday, Oct. 11 against Brandeis University.

Spartans top Hiram

The Spartans beat Hiram College on Tuesday, 2-1. The first half ended scoreless, and Hiram started off the second half strongly by scoring at the 59:26 mark. The Spartans, however, retaliated by scoring two minutes later. The Spartans worked the ball up the field, and junior Jen Soo Hoo slotted the ball through Hiram's defense to freshman Kristina Vaci, who finished off the goal. The Spartans scored again around the 80-minute mark. After receiving the ball from a free kick taken by sophomore Amy Baumann, Soo Hoo maneuvered through the defensive line to score the game-winning goal. Spartan keeper McClain played the full 90 minutes with three saves. Matching Hiram's physical play, the Spartans were able to come from behind to get the win, making their current record 7-5.

• Demolition or renovation of Morley building may cost university
  • Have you heard about: Case Dagorhir?
  • Nancy Pelosi visits campus to learn about Great Lakes Institute for Energy Innovation
  • RAD course offers students basic self-defense training
  • Relay for Life hosts kickoff event
  • RTA's Euclid Corridor Project nears completion
  • Student loans: federal vs. private
  • USG � BRIEF

• Cross Country: Men join women on top at All-Ohios
  • LBJ would be great TE
  • Men's Soccer: Spartans don't give or get goal in Brandeis tie
  • Solid 28-7 win keeps Spartans undefeated
  • Spartan Notebook
  • Spartan Spotlight: Jeff Brown
  • Volleyball drops two in weekend tri-match
  • Women's Soccer: Nothing appealing about loss to Judges

• Sudoku #1 Answers
  • Sudoku Answers #2

• Country visit results in different view of British
  • Editorial: Sculpture collection needs better presentation
  • Either candidate has chance to win in November election
  • Plug-in hybrids not safest choice for drivers

• After years under the radar, Brett Dennen releases new album to rave reviews
  • GLTF shines with other half of fall repertory
  • Just in Case: Worried about partying pals
  • Oliver Stone's W. falls short of expectations
  • Sex and Dating: Avoiding awkward hookups
  • The Secret Ingredient: The many flavors of pumpkin
  • Worst Case Scenario: Stifling the big-word urge
  • Zombie Survival Guide author charismatically entertains Case Western Reserve students