Football: Homecoming features lots of sacks, scores

Nick Spring

Issue date: 10/10/08 Section: Sports
Quarterback Dan Whalen was Case's leading rusher in Saturday's 45-14 win over Denison. Whalen's mobility kept Denison's defense off-balance throughout the game.
Media Credit: James Cash
Last Saturday, Denison traveled to Case Field to take on the Spartans and were handed their third defeat of the season, dropping their record to 1-3. With the win, Case kept the undefeated season alive, pushing their record to 4-0. The Spartans came out of the gate firing on all cylinders. Denison started the game with the ball and got mauled by the Spartan defense. Senior Brian Calderone set the tone early, recording the first sack of the game during the first series. The Spartan offense struck like lightning on its first drive. In a mere three plays in 59 seconds, Case put up seven with a 28-yard touchdown pass from Dan Whalen to Shaun Nicely. Denison's next drive was strikingly similar to its first: few offensive plays, and yet another sack by Calderone. The ensuing drive from each squad resulted in punts, with nothing significant occurring except the Spartan defensive line exerting its dominance by recording its third sack of the first quarter, courtesy of Dale English. Case capitalized on their next two drives by scoring on a 2-yard run from Corey Checkan and a 44-yard field goal from Sam Coffey. The first quarter closed with Case up 17-0. Denison did not even record a first down during the quarter.
The start of the second quarter seemed to be a defensive battle, with each team's defense recording turnovers. Whalen threw his first interception of the season and Greg Kingscott forced a fumble, which was recovered by English. The Spartans capitalized on the turnover and scored a touchdown on a 3 yard run by Checkan. On the next defensive drive, safety Brad Paramore intercepted his first pass of the season at the Case 27 yard line. Once again, the opportunistic Spartan offense turned the turnover into points by driving 73 yards in 13 plays. The drive ended with a 13-yard touchdown catch by Zach Homyk. The last play of the half was, not surprisingly, a sack by the defensive line, with Calderone and English each recording half a sack. During the first half, Case outgained Denison 287 yards to 35. Thus far through four games, Case has outscored their opponents 142 to 7 during the first half.
The beginning of the third quarter was quite uneventful until roughly the five-minute mark. Mayor of "Pick City," Kyle Minnich, cordially invited cornerback Bobby Bott to the city of dreams when Bott recorded his third interception of the season on a pick-six. Case scored its last points of the game at the end of the third quarter on a 1-yard run by Greg Meyer. Denison scored a meaningless 14 points in the fourth quarter, resulting in the final score of 45 to 14.
Leading the way defensively was the defensive line, with Calderone and English each recording six tackles and combining for four sacks (five total D-line sacks: the other sack by Richard Doolin). Offensively, Whalen lead the team in rushing with 91 yards. Homyk recorded the most catches with six and Nicely had the most receiving yards with 96. This week, the Spartans take on undefeated rival Wooster at home.

• Demolition or renovation of Morley building may cost university
  • Have you heard about: Case Dagorhir?
  • Nancy Pelosi visits campus to learn about Great Lakes Institute for Energy Innovation
  • RAD course offers students basic self-defense training
  • Relay for Life hosts kickoff event
  • RTA's Euclid Corridor Project nears completion
  • Student loans: federal vs. private
  • USG � BRIEF

• Cross Country: Men join women on top at All-Ohios
  • LBJ would be great TE
  • Men's Soccer: Spartans don't give or get goal in Brandeis tie
  • Solid 28-7 win keeps Spartans undefeated
  • Spartan Notebook
  • Spartan Spotlight: Jeff Brown
  • Volleyball drops two in weekend tri-match
  • Women's Soccer: Nothing appealing about loss to Judges

• Sudoku #1 Answers
  • Sudoku Answers #2

• Country visit results in different view of British
  • Editorial: Sculpture collection needs better presentation
  • Either candidate has chance to win in November election
  • Plug-in hybrids not safest choice for drivers

• After years under the radar, Brett Dennen releases new album to rave reviews
  • GLTF shines with other half of fall repertory
  • Just in Case: Worried about partying pals
  • Oliver Stone's W. falls short of expectations
  • Sex and Dating: Avoiding awkward hookups
  • The Secret Ingredient: The many flavors of pumpkin
  • Worst Case Scenario: Stifling the big-word urge
  • Zombie Survival Guide author charismatically entertains Case Western Reserve students