USG • BRIEF

Gillian Seaman

The Undergraduate Student Government General Assembly met this past Tuesday, and the meeting opened on a joyful note about this year's Homecoming festivities. USG fully embraced the Spartan Paradise theme, decorating their office and even placing president Myles Nickolich in full hula garb on the float. Upon opening the meeting, Nickolich thanked the Public Relations committee for its work on the USG office and float.
USG representative Zac Wilkins considered this year's Homecoming to be a great success. According to Wilkins, Homecoming every year "improves school spirit, brings together students and alumni, and raises support of not only the football team, but also student groups who perform during the game." Like many other groups on campus, USG plays a part in organizing the Homecoming festivities. USG worked with the University Program Board and was responsible for this year's incredibly obnoxious and/or fun noisemakers that echoed throughout the stadium during the Homecoming football and soccer games.
The vice presidents also gave their reports. Notably, vice president Jeff Sabinski said discussion is continuing on the advantages and disadvantages of developing a +/- grading system. Vice president of IT Nicole Hofert discussed, in absentia, the creation of a survey for students to evaluate their understanding and use of Case's technology that would also include an analysis of the USG website.
The freshman caucus elected Jesal Shah as the recording secretary and Megha Patel as the caucus speaker.
The Student Life Improvement Grant committee, which is designed to profoundly impact the student body at Case, now has members from each of the caucuses. Representatives Dudley, Armstrong, Lupton, Webber, Aggarwal, and Patel represent the nursing, arts and sciences, engineering, Weatherhead, and freshman caucuses respectively.
There were also numerous announcements during the assembly. The second annual American Cancer Society Relay for Life will be kicking off this Friday during Community Hour in the Thwing Ballroom. Last year, Relay for Life raised over $60,000 with 700 participants. The assembly hopes to make this year's Relay even more successful and encourages student body participation.
Third Eye Blind will be playing a concert Oct. 25 that is sponsored by the University Program Board. In addition, there will be Halloween in Thwing, where around 200 second and third graders will be present. The event will take place Friday between 12:30-2 p.m. and all volunteers are welcome.

• Demolition or renovation of Morley building may cost university
  • Have you heard about: Case Dagorhir?
  • Nancy Pelosi visits campus to learn about Great Lakes Institute for Energy Innovation
  • RAD course offers students basic self-defense training
  • Relay for Life hosts kickoff event
  • RTA's Euclid Corridor Project nears completion
  • Student loans: federal vs. private
  • USG � BRIEF

• Cross Country: Men join women on top at All-Ohios
  • LBJ would be great TE
  • Men's Soccer: Spartans don't give or get goal in Brandeis tie
  • Solid 28-7 win keeps Spartans undefeated
  • Spartan Notebook
  • Spartan Spotlight: Jeff Brown
  • Volleyball drops two in weekend tri-match
  • Women's Soccer: Nothing appealing about loss to Judges

• Sudoku #1 Answers
  • Sudoku Answers #2

• Country visit results in different view of British
  • Editorial: Sculpture collection needs better presentation
  • Either candidate has chance to win in November election
  • Plug-in hybrids not safest choice for drivers

• After years under the radar, Brett Dennen releases new album to rave reviews
  • GLTF shines with other half of fall repertory
  • Just in Case: Worried about partying pals
  • Oliver Stone's W. falls short of expectations
  • Sex and Dating: Avoiding awkward hookups
  • The Secret Ingredient: The many flavors of pumpkin
  • Worst Case Scenario: Stifling the big-word urge
  • Zombie Survival Guide author charismatically entertains Case Western Reserve students