Engineers Without Borders gives campus opportunity to help

Ilana Yergin

This Sunday, Oct. 12, Engineers Without Borders is sponsoring a charity event called "Bucket Brigade" at the Village at 115 from 2 to 4 p.m.
Bucket Brigade is a relay race where four-person teams will need to carry 20 gallons of water around the track in five-gallon buckets. EWB is asking that teams donate $50 for a team of four, although it is not necessary to have a complete team of four to enter. The three fastest teams will win one of three prizes: a 25-person party at Jillians, four 30-minute massages from La Barberia, or $150 in gift certificates to Little Italy. There will be burgers, hot dogs, and free T-shirts for all participants.
"This event is to raise awareness about the difficulties people go through to get potable water every day," said senior civil engineer and EWB member, Randall Beck. The event will also raise funds for the different projects that EWB is currently working on.
EWB has been spending much of their time working in the Dominican Republic over the last four years. They finished their first project, in 2006, in Guaricanos, a suburb of Santo Domingo. In addition, the group is getting close to finishing their second, which is in Cruce de Blanco, also in the Dominican Republic.
"The project is just now starting construction and is planned for completion in May 2009," said Beck. "Once completed, the system will provide a clean, reliable source of water for over 600 community members. It will be a huge improvement over the water they are able to get right now, not to mention it will be delivered straight to faucets on their houses. They currently have to walk an average of 40 minutes to get water that is infested with fecal coliform and parasites."
Next on the agenda for EWB are two new projects: one in Cameroon and one in Chiang Mai, Thailand.
"These projects are again focused on improving the quality of life through improvements to basic needs such as sanitation and water," said Beck. "In addition, we are exploring new opportunities around Cleveland for us to mimic the work we do internationally while also making a difference."
Beck, who traveled to Cruce de Blanco in August, believes that EWB is an invaluable asset to the Case campus.
"Organizations like EWB are important to the Case community because they enhance and expand upon the education we get in school," he said. "The projects we work on are very real and force students to push themselves beyond the kinds of problems we get from our textbooks.  This experience is key to our education and is something that employers, grad schools, etc. look for in addition to just the standard set of classes."
He also believes that EWB is a "rich and rewarding program." EWB offers students of all backgrounds - not just engineering - opportunities to strive to better the world around them.
For more information about Engineers Without Borders or Bucket Brigade, visit ewb.case.edu or e-mail .

• Demolition or renovation of Morley building may cost university
  • Have you heard about: Case Dagorhir?
  • Nancy Pelosi visits campus to learn about Great Lakes Institute for Energy Innovation
  • RAD course offers students basic self-defense training
  • Relay for Life hosts kickoff event
  • RTA's Euclid Corridor Project nears completion
  • Student loans: federal vs. private
  • USG � BRIEF

• Cross Country: Men join women on top at All-Ohios
  • LBJ would be great TE
  • Men's Soccer: Spartans don't give or get goal in Brandeis tie
  • Solid 28-7 win keeps Spartans undefeated
  • Spartan Notebook
  • Spartan Spotlight: Jeff Brown
  • Volleyball drops two in weekend tri-match
  • Women's Soccer: Nothing appealing about loss to Judges

• Sudoku #1 Answers
  • Sudoku Answers #2

• Country visit results in different view of British
  • Editorial: Sculpture collection needs better presentation
  • Either candidate has chance to win in November election
  • Plug-in hybrids not safest choice for drivers

• After years under the radar, Brett Dennen releases new album to rave reviews
  • GLTF shines with other half of fall repertory
  • Just in Case: Worried about partying pals
  • Oliver Stone's W. falls short of expectations
  • Sex and Dating: Avoiding awkward hookups
  • The Secret Ingredient: The many flavors of pumpkin
  • Worst Case Scenario: Stifling the big-word urge
  • Zombie Survival Guide author charismatically entertains Case Western Reserve students