After year of planning, Greenie improvements implemented

Margaret Grady

Some students were left waiting for Greenies after a route change that wasn't well publicized. Now, many on campus hope that route changes and several other alterations will make service more efficient.
Media Credit: Denton Zhou

Except for some confusion about route changes last month, Greenie improvements agreed upon by USG, Standard Parking, and the university in May have been implemented smoothly.
Alterations to the evening shuttle north, evening shuttle south, and commuter shuttle routes were enacted just before classes began in August. Without an official announcement from USG, Standard Parking, or the university itself, however, some students were taken by surprise.
"Implementation was a little less [publicized] than we would have liked," said Myles Nickolich, current USG president and former vice president of Student Life, who has worked closely with Standard Parking over the past year. "I was a little worried that people were going to be on the bus and not going where they wanted to be going."
Route changes were made in response to different complaints and suggestions that USG received from students last year; refer to page 2 for new route maps and a description of the implemented changes. Nickolich reported that a new stop will be placed at the corner of Ford Drive and Euclid Avenue when construction on Euclid is completed.
Only one stop was added to the Circle Link route due to the fact that any drastic change would need approval from every University Circle institution that has a stake in the shuttle route. USG attempted to contact every institution about two years ago and only received a limited response; the project is ongoing.
Some requested changes could not be implemented due to safety concerns, potential traffic delays, and "increasing route times and mileage beyond acceptable amounts," said Dave Tomco, senior manager at Standard Parking.
The last major change in Greenie routes occurred about five years ago, when the Coventry Road area was added to the evening shuttle south route, he said. Minor changes occurred in fall 2006 when the Village at 115 and Lot 46 opened.
A more recent meeting on Sept. 18 resulted in an agreement to replace the bus shelters at Fribley and Juniper. The new shelters will be larger, with only one opening to protect waiting riders from the wind.
"I'm happy that we're getting new shelters," said Nickolich. "Some of them are in pretty bad shape right now." Other shelter replacements and additions will take place over the next several years.
In response to complaints about unauthorized breaks, "driver nameplates have been installed on each of the buses to allow passengers to better identify the driver," said Tomco. "We agreed this makes the drivers more accountable for their behaviors."
Finally, two new shuttle buses will be joining the Greenie fleet by the end of the semester.
"Overall, I'm very pleased with the response that Standard Parking has given us," said Nickolich.
"We welcome the input of USG, and recognize that the students are a large customer group in the University Circle neighborhood," said Tomco.
USG and Standard Parking both remain open to student feedback. "Our goal is to provide value to our clients through excellence, innovation, and efficiency in management service," said Tomco. "Our team is dedicated to providing the highest levels of customer service to all patrons of the garages, shuttles, special events, and parking lots within the campus area."
Service-related issues having to do with Greenies or drivers should be reported directly to Standard Parking by e-mailing . Feedback related to route changes should be directed to USG.
New route brochures can be found online at greenie.case.edu, at Access Services in the basement of Crawford, and on the Greenies themselves.

• Demolition or renovation of Morley building may cost university
  • Have you heard about: Case Dagorhir?
  • Nancy Pelosi visits campus to learn about Great Lakes Institute for Energy Innovation
  • RAD course offers students basic self-defense training
  • Relay for Life hosts kickoff event
  • RTA's Euclid Corridor Project nears completion
  • Student loans: federal vs. private
  • USG � BRIEF

• Cross Country: Men join women on top at All-Ohios
  • LBJ would be great TE
  • Men's Soccer: Spartans don't give or get goal in Brandeis tie
  • Solid 28-7 win keeps Spartans undefeated
  • Spartan Notebook
  • Spartan Spotlight: Jeff Brown
  • Volleyball drops two in weekend tri-match
  • Women's Soccer: Nothing appealing about loss to Judges

• Sudoku #1 Answers
  • Sudoku Answers #2

• Country visit results in different view of British
  • Editorial: Sculpture collection needs better presentation
  • Either candidate has chance to win in November election
  • Plug-in hybrids not safest choice for drivers

• After years under the radar, Brett Dennen releases new album to rave reviews
  • GLTF shines with other half of fall repertory
  • Just in Case: Worried about partying pals
  • Oliver Stone's W. falls short of expectations
  • Sex and Dating: Avoiding awkward hookups
  • The Secret Ingredient: The many flavors of pumpkin
  • Worst Case Scenario: Stifling the big-word urge
  • Zombie Survival Guide author charismatically entertains Case Western Reserve students