Young mayoral candidate inspires with new book

Sultan Ahmed

She ran for mayor of Bloomington, Ind. at the age of 21. During college, she helped encourage people in her community to get tested for HIV, aided Hispanic children in learning to read, and helped find homes for countless shelter animals. Having degrees in political science and Spanish from Indiana University, Jamie Lober, now 23, has already experienced more at this point in her life than most experience throughout their entire lives. She has used these experiences to write a book in the hopes of motivating young people across the country to act.
An only child, Lober was raised by two parents who quickly instilled in her the ideals that led her to pursue her goals in life. She "grew up watching [her] mom help the disabled and [her] dad strengthen the military," and she quickly realized that being a positive force in the world starts in the home. Lober's interests began changing and developing during high school: "Although I was always interested in American history, it was during my high school years that I developed my interest in world literature and international relations." Embracing new ideas and concepts, Lober continued her education at Indiana University.
During this time, she became heavily involved in the Bloomington community. "It was amazing to see what a large difference one could make without any involvement or dependence on the federal government," she said. Through her involvement, Lober developed her concept of self-empowerment, what was to become the basis of her mayoral run. "A main part of self-empowerment is the notion of the power of the individual and the ability to have choices and make them rather than being forced into a system (taxes, healthcare, etc,)" said Lober.
Brimming with inspiration, and now with some experience under her belt, Lober decided to run for mayor of Bloomington, Ind. Having been an active member of the Bloomington community, Lober felt her experiences over the past four years had prepared her to make an active change in the community she had come to love. "At 21, I felt very qualified and prepared to tackle challenges after having gotten to know my college town for four years and loving everything about it," said Lober. The campaign, however, was not without challenges. Not only being young, but being a woman, she found herself in the face of strong opposition, but did not back down: she faced the challenge head-on. "I had no reason to believe I wouldn't win if I could overcome the invisible barriers that my age and gender had set for me. I was an experienced candidate with a proven record. I was already involved on campus and in the community. I was proud to run as a mayoral candidate for all people." Although the losing candidate, Lober found the political run to be a tremendous learning experience, and somewhat of an awakening one at that.
Lober decided soon after to use her life experiences to inspire others. She developed the philosophy that she calls Pink Power and published a book with that same title, holding true to her belief that "We girls can do anything!" The book is a valuable inspirational lesson for people of all ages and of both genders and is available for order on www.getpinkpower.com.
Currently, Lober is completing her Masters in psychology and is working actively to support the campaign of her candidate of choice, John McCain. She plans to continue motivational speaking and hopes to one day serve in the U.S. Senate.

• Demolition or renovation of Morley building may cost university
  • Have you heard about: Case Dagorhir?
  • Nancy Pelosi visits campus to learn about Great Lakes Institute for Energy Innovation
  • RAD course offers students basic self-defense training
  • Relay for Life hosts kickoff event
  • RTA's Euclid Corridor Project nears completion
  • Student loans: federal vs. private
  • USG � BRIEF

• Cross Country: Men join women on top at All-Ohios
  • LBJ would be great TE
  • Men's Soccer: Spartans don't give or get goal in Brandeis tie
  • Solid 28-7 win keeps Spartans undefeated
  • Spartan Notebook
  • Spartan Spotlight: Jeff Brown
  • Volleyball drops two in weekend tri-match
  • Women's Soccer: Nothing appealing about loss to Judges

• Sudoku #1 Answers
  • Sudoku Answers #2

• Country visit results in different view of British
  • Editorial: Sculpture collection needs better presentation
  • Either candidate has chance to win in November election
  • Plug-in hybrids not safest choice for drivers

• After years under the radar, Brett Dennen releases new album to rave reviews
  • GLTF shines with other half of fall repertory
  • Just in Case: Worried about partying pals
  • Oliver Stone's W. falls short of expectations
  • Sex and Dating: Avoiding awkward hookups
  • The Secret Ingredient: The many flavors of pumpkin
  • Worst Case Scenario: Stifling the big-word urge
  • Zombie Survival Guide author charismatically entertains Case Western Reserve students