The Buzz

Friday, Oct.10

New York Times bestseller and noted essayist David Sedaris is coming to Cleveland's Playhouse Square to provide his satirical insight and wit to the Cleveland populace. Sedaris' most recent collection of essays, When You Are Engulfed in Flames, released last June, topped many bestseller lists across the country. Time: 7:30 p.m. Cost: $10 - $42.50. Location: Palace Theatre. Contact: www.playhousesquare.org

Saturday, Oct.11

One of the most aggravating aspects of playing tennis is swinging at the ball and watching it go sailing right by you. Thankfully (or unthankfully, depending on whose opinion you ask), Wii Tennis removes the difficulty of playing with actual equipment, and UPB is hosting a Wii Tennis Tournament at Adelbert Gym. Competitive and non-competitive courts will both be set up, and those who truly excel in the virtual Wimbledon can win prizes! Time: 10:30 p.m. - 1:30 a.m. Cost: Free. Location: Adelbert Gymnasium. Contact: upb.case.edu
Tuesday, Oct.14

Philadelphia's experimental junkyard-rockers Man Man are bringing their non-stop musical free-for-alls to the Grog Shop. The band, coming off of its third album, Rabbit Habits, is known for their rabid energy and its tendency to play entire sets without stopping. Additionally, the five-piece uses a plethora of instruments, from horns and woodwinds to pots and pans. Tim Fite, The Helper T-Cells, and DJs Hi Scarab and Human Blood are scheduled to open. Time: 8 p.m. Cost: $10 advance, $12 at the door. Location: The Grog Shop. Contact: www.grogshop.gs

Wednesday, Oct. 15

Indie rock quartet Frightened Rabbit have come a long way from their humble home town of Selkirk, Scotland, and this Wednesday, they will be headed to The Spot for a free concert. The band's second album, The Midnight Organ Fight, released earlier this year, has been critically lauded, with some publications speculating that it could be one of the best albums of 2008. Gregory and the Hawk are scheduled to open. Time: 9:30 p.m. - 11:30 p.m. Cost: Free. Location: The Spot. Contact: upb.case.edu

Thursday, Oct. 16

The Cleveland Theater Collective is sponsoring its Free Night of Theater 2008, where playhouses in the area are setting aside a limited number of tickets that theatergoers (and non-theatergoers) can reserve for free tickets for a number of shows this Thursday. Noises Off, The Wizard of Oz, and Into the Woods are among the shows where free tickets are eligible, but these tickets are distributed on a first come, first served basis. This program should open up the wide world of theater to new minds and hearts throughout Cleveland. Time: Varies. Cost: Free (with reservation). Location: Theaters in the Cleveland area. Contact: www.clevelandtheater.com

• Demolition or renovation of Morley building may cost university
  • Have you heard about: Case Dagorhir?
  • Nancy Pelosi visits campus to learn about Great Lakes Institute for Energy Innovation
  • RAD course offers students basic self-defense training
  • Relay for Life hosts kickoff event
  • RTA's Euclid Corridor Project nears completion
  • Student loans: federal vs. private
  • USG � BRIEF

• Cross Country: Men join women on top at All-Ohios
  • LBJ would be great TE
  • Men's Soccer: Spartans don't give or get goal in Brandeis tie
  • Solid 28-7 win keeps Spartans undefeated
  • Spartan Notebook
  • Spartan Spotlight: Jeff Brown
  • Volleyball drops two in weekend tri-match
  • Women's Soccer: Nothing appealing about loss to Judges

• Sudoku #1 Answers
  • Sudoku Answers #2

• Country visit results in different view of British
  • Editorial: Sculpture collection needs better presentation
  • Either candidate has chance to win in November election
  • Plug-in hybrids not safest choice for drivers

• After years under the radar, Brett Dennen releases new album to rave reviews
  • GLTF shines with other half of fall repertory
  • Just in Case: Worried about partying pals
  • Oliver Stone's W. falls short of expectations
  • Sex and Dating: Avoiding awkward hookups
  • The Secret Ingredient: The many flavors of pumpkin
  • Worst Case Scenario: Stifling the big-word urge
  • Zombie Survival Guide author charismatically entertains Case Western Reserve students