Surprises abound at Film Society's 36th Annual Sci-Fi Movie Marathon

Every January, there's a 24-hour period in which Strosacker Auditorium is a sight to behold. Anywhere up to a few hundred people pack the seats and the lobby, many with sleeping bags, ready for a makeshift overnight auditorium campout. Guests both college-age and older are united, sharing a somewhat unorthodox common interest.

Strangers unite for dancing flash mob to promote Cleveland Play House production Backwards in High Heels

The Cleveland Play House took a different approach to publicity for their production of Backwards in High Heels. They created and executed a "flash mob" to promote the play, which runs through Jan. 30. Case Western Reserve University class of 2011 Theater and English major and Cleveland Play House digital media intern Britt Goodman was involved with this PR move and artistic venture.

CMA's Treasures of Heaven exhibit artfully displays human body parts

The Cleveland Museum of Art recently closed a particularly unique exhibit, Treasures of Heaven: Saints, Relics, and Devotion in Medieval Europe. The CMA always hosts shows that explore a variety of artistic styles, and this one was no different. This exhibit was especially notable for its emphasis on pieces that would normally never be the focus of an entire exhibit, as relics are smaller and are not generally popular enough to sustain an entire exhibit, as opposed to the Museum of Modern Art's exhibit on Abstract Expressionism that is currently running in New York.

New Year's Resolutions

Worst Case Scenario

After a horrendous brain dump onto 20-page final exams and a four-week post-exam hiatus doing practically nothing, the Worst Case Scenario has returned! To everyone's pleasure, it's a new year and thus a new semester filled with personal campus complaints that, more likely than not, will be addressed and promptly forgotten.

A Trip to Cleveland's Asiatown

Finding good places to visit is much like sightseeing in a new country. Often times, the best places are not the popular ones that you can find with a ten-second Google search, but are things that local residents have to direct you to. AsiaTown, or, more commonly known as, Cleveland's Chinatown, is definitely one of those places.

Drink Up Buttercup

Hitting the Spot

The University Program Board's second Spot Night of the year has enough potential to be one of the semester's best, featuring the young Philadelphia-based indie rock act Drink Up Buttercup. The line that ties their Yep Roc debut Born and Thrown on a Hook together is that there hardly is such a line, allowing for the band to explore a variety of styles.

Getting creative in love

Sex and Dating

Is going out for coffee or drinks a date? Sexperts say no. It is more appropriate to say you "meet" for these things, because meeting for coffee or drinks is just that��-a meeting. Such a meeting typically follows one of two modes. It can either be a screening session in which you get the chance to have a face-to-face conversation with another individual, or, especially in the case of alcohol-related meetings, it is merely a segue to doing the no-pants dance.

ShowCASE continues philanthropic streak with live campus-centric music

Following their successful event in November that raised over $600 for the AMSA Sex and Gender Group, ShowCASE has put on yet another event for a good cause. Replicating the setup of the last event, it was held again at the Jolly Scholar on Jan. 14 with many performers from the medical school and elsewhere.

Two heavyweight Oscar contenders in review

For over a quarter century Joel and Ethan Coen have quietly become one of the most dependable forces in American cinema. Their last four films came out less than a year apart each, and each is within in its own right a sprawling odyssey, completely dissimilar from anything else in the Coen brothers' already considerable body of work.

• CWRU loses distinguished professor
  • Nell Irvin Painter comes to CWRU
  • Simplify your student loan debt
  • Students turn out in numbers for Greek recruitment
  • Zeta Beta Tau fraternity moves into new home

• Harter leads Spartans with two wins at Lycoming, but squad returns home winless
  • Lady Spartans tip off UAA play with three wins
  • Men rebound from poor start to take top spot in UAA
  • The Observer tackles the final hurdle leading up to the Super Bowl

• Editorial: New resolutions for old problems
  • Resolved to Responsibility
  • Second amendment remedies: Or, what a difference a comma makes

• A Trip to Cleveland's Asiatown
  • CMA's Treasures of Heaven exhibit artfully displays human body parts
  • Drink Up Buttercup
  • Getting creative in love
  • New Year's Resolutions
  • ShowCASE continues philanthropic streak with live campus-centric music
  • Strangers unite for dancing flash mob to promote Cleveland Play House production Backwards in High Heels
  • Surprises abound at Film Society's 36th Annual Sci-Fi Movie Marathon
  • Two heavyweight Oscar contenders in review