Dance Marathoners to stay on feet for 12 hour benefit

Tomorrow, Saturday, Nov. 13, Case Western Reserve University's Dance Marathon (DM) team will host its greatest undertaking yet: a 12-hour dance marathon to benefit the pediatric patients at University Hospitals. The event will run from noon to midnight in the Veale fieldhouse and is open to the entire Cleveland community; in fact, several young cancer patients will be making an appearance.

Happiness is a warm campus

Worst case scenario

It's the time of year again when the world seems to be crashing in around college students: we have 10 papers to write before the end of classes, there are weird midterms that happen near the end of the semester (which should be called late-terms), and we are cramming everything we didn't do during the semester into the last couple of weeks.

Medical students band together for ShowCASE of campus musical talent

Among music's many transformative qualities is the pronounced capability to call people to action to help others. ShowCASE attempted to do just that with their most recent event, which they co-hosted with the American Medical Student Association's sex and gender group at the Jolly Scholar on Friday, Nov.

"Hunk, Hustler, Hard-Ass" seminar an eye-opening look at masculinity

What does it mean to talk about a rape culture? What do men and women do to avoid being violated? These are just two of the many questions answered during the presentation "Hunk, Hustler, and Hard-Ass: Masculinity in the Media," sponsored by the Flora Stone Mather Center for Women November 4.

You're trying to seduce me

Sex and Dating

According to a probably reliable Internet dictionary, the fourth definition of the verb "seduce" is to win over; attract; entice. As in, "the baker seduced customers with her delicious pie." This example shows the two primary aspects of seduction - interaction and subtlety.

A trip to Tremont

A trip to Tremont

For most Case Western Reserve University students, weekends resemble a collage of cram sessions and all-nighters rather than the whirlwind of socially lubricated parties that the mainstream media would have me believe comprises college life. As such, when there does happen to be that elusive window in one's calendar, we find ourselves searching for that distinct note of elegance that campus life is the antithesis of.

CIM president Joel Smirnoff leads CIM orchestra through exquisite performances of Mozart, Bartók, Beethoven

The Cleveland Institute of Music student orchestra took center stage Oct. 27 in a special collaboration with CIM's new president Joel Smirnoff in a lively program of works by Mozart, Bartók, and Beethoven. The level of playing from the orchestra, violin soloist, and conductor re-affirmed why the school is one of the world's leading music conservatories, and why the community benefits from performances that are on par with professional orchestras'.

Hitting the Spot: Gold Motel

Hitting the Spot: Gold Motel

UPB is bringing back the essence of summer next Wednesday, Nov. 17 with the Southern California-inspired indie pop of Gold Motel for this week's Spot Night. Based in Chicago, Gold Motel is the recently implemented side project of The Hush Sound's singer and keyboardist Greta Morgan, who spent some time living in Los Angeles soaking up the sun and the music scene.

• CWRU loses distinguished professor
  • Nell Irvin Painter comes to CWRU
  • Simplify your student loan debt
  • Students turn out in numbers for Greek recruitment
  • Zeta Beta Tau fraternity moves into new home

• Harter leads Spartans with two wins at Lycoming, but squad returns home winless
  • Lady Spartans tip off UAA play with three wins
  • Men rebound from poor start to take top spot in UAA
  • The Observer tackles the final hurdle leading up to the Super Bowl

• Editorial: New resolutions for old problems
  • Resolved to Responsibility
  • Second amendment remedies: Or, what a difference a comma makes

• A Trip to Cleveland's Asiatown
  • CMA's Treasures of Heaven exhibit artfully displays human body parts
  • Drink Up Buttercup
  • Getting creative in love
  • New Year's Resolutions
  • ShowCASE continues philanthropic streak with live campus-centric music
  • Strangers unite for dancing flash mob to promote Cleveland Play House production Backwards in High Heels
  • Surprises abound at Film Society's 36th Annual Sci-Fi Movie Marathon
  • Two heavyweight Oscar contenders in review