Will Smith takes on another tough role in Seven Pounds

The Will Smith that many of us know best is the slightly goofy Fresh Prince, born and raised in West Philadelphia, yet causing mayhem in high-class Bel-Air. However, in the past few years, we have seen Smith take on more serious roles that have established him as a respected actor. (1) comment

GLTF reimagines a holiday classic, while still remaining true to form

For many, the amazing Black Friday sales mark the start of the Christmas season. Many Clevelanders, however, look to another event to mark the start of the Christmas season: an annual performance of the classic Charles Dickens story A Christmas Carol. This year marks the 20th anniversary of Great Lakes Theater Festival's production of the holiday staple at PlayhouseSquare. (0) comments

The Observer's picks for best of 2008: Books

2008 was definitely a hit or miss year in books. We had disappointments from bestselling authors on all ends, from Palahniuk's horribly provocative Snuff to Klosterman's lukewarm Downtown Owl. While some familiar authors managed to hold the attention of their audiences, lesser-knowns emerged from what appeared to be nowhere, only to publish books with apt detail, thorough analyses, and just the right amount of sardonic wit. (0) comments

The Observer's picks for best of 2008: Music

Yes, it's that time of year again, the time when each and every music critic feels the need to gather together all of their favorite albums of the year and rank them. This incites both furious debates over whether or not the new No Age album is really better than the new TV on the Radio one, and the great burden of having to sift through hundreds of lists, many of which look the same. (2) comments

The Observer's picks for best of 2008: Movies

10. Donkey Punch 9. Cloverfield 8. The Dark Knight 7. Iron Man 6. Wall-E 5. Pineapple Express 4. Role Models 3. The Happening 2. Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead 1. Let the Right One In The effects of the just-officially-announced recession on the movie industry are yet to be seen; hopefully Hollywood can continue its trend of quality entertainment. (0) comments

PTG's New Playwright Fest offers students a chance to showcase acting, writing skills

On Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 22 and 23, the Players' Theater Group presented the second-annual New Playwright's Festival in the Blackbox Theater. Organized this year by art director Gabe Geschke, the theatre was quickly taken over by Pokémon fanatics, illegal organ hustlers, desperate strippers, awkward opera goers, chocolate cake offenders, and a perfect, dreamlike suburbanite couple, all of these characters the creations of eight playwrights from the Case community. (0) comments

Just in Case: Don't let finals take you down

How in the world can I stay calm with finals looming? I'm worried about all my grades and I have too much to do! With the holidays come all the best things of the year: Christmas cookies, great movies on TV, snow (at least it's better than the Cleveland rain), holiday music, and of course. (0) comments

Sex and Dating: What's your type?

In the dating realm, people often default to saying either they do or don't go for a certain "type" of person. Generally, people who say they do have a type have a clear idea of what they're looking for and can judge this by a potential mate's study habits, friends, or fashion. (0) comments

The Buzz

Friday, Dec. 5 The Thwing Ballroom will get all swanked up this weekend for the 20th annual Windi and Jazzi music celebration. The event, which features both of Case Western Reserve's Jazz ensembles as well as the Symphonic Winds, will feature performances of pieces by Aaron Copland and Duke Ellington along with selections from The Phantom of the Opera and the Star Wars soundtrack. (0) comments

Student Profile: Keith Lupton

Keith Lupton is a junior majoring in engineering physics. He's involved in numerous organizations around campus and is founder of the popular campus event Pizzalympics.

Student Profile: Keith Lupton

Christine Cadman: What are you involved in on campus? Keith Lupton: I'm in the Big Brothers Big Sisters program, which meets once a week in Wade. We help kids from the Cleveland area with their homework. We have snacks and play basketball. I mentor a kid named Grover. (1) comment

The Worst Case Scenario: Finagling your way out of finals

Today is the last day of classes, and that means one thing for Case students: approaching finals. The most horrible time of the year for many of us, the next couple of weeks promise to be jam-packed with pain and suffering. If you are already feeling overwhelmed by the many papers and/or tests you will be forced to complete, you're not alone. (0) comments

The Observer's picks for best of 2008: Video Games

It is difficult to limit a list like this to only 10 games since there are so many great titles to choose from. They each bring something different to the table. Naturally, one's personal opinion comes into play when making a top 10 list, but I have tried to be as impartial as possible. (0) comments

• Could line dancing bring down Thwing?
  • Cross Country finishes well in championships
  • Students travel to Georgia to protest at former SOA
  • Synthetic ice rink opens on Wade Oval this weekend
  • Understanding current financial times
  • Unreliable Case network troubled by several issues
  • USG ? BRIEF

• Comeback Win
  • Football Playoffs: Lead slips away in final minutes of game
  • Henry, Tondo cook Kalamazoo
  • Men's Basketball: Another close race, and Spartans finish second
  • Pro Sports: LT's not-so-little helper
  • Spartan Spotlight: Alex Hostoffer

• Sudoku Answers

• Accusation of racism was "thoughtless"
  • Ample sleep is best exam preparation
  • Art for art's sake
  • Editorial: Semester grades
  • Formal recruitment may be path to better college experience
  • Incentives and interventions
  • Jewish students respond to letters
  • Rational discourse is only path to peace
  • The very last column
  • There's no place like home
  • University should save energy this winter
  • Zionism does not equal colonialism

• GLTF reimagines a holiday classic, while still remaining true to form
  • Just in Case: Don't let finals take you down
  • PTG's New Playwright Fest offers students a chance to showcase acting, writing skills
  • Sex and Dating: What's your type?
  • Student Profile: Keith Lupton
  • The Observer's picks for best of 2008: Books
  • The Observer's picks for best of 2008: Movies
  • The Observer's picks for best of 2008: Music
  • The Observer's picks for best of 2008: Video Games
  • The Worst Case Scenario: Finagling your way out of finals
  • Will Smith takes on another tough role in Seven Pounds