After years under the radar, Brett Dennen releases new album to rave reviews

Brett Dennen, a fairly new face to the folk/alternative rock scene, got his start as a former camp counselor in Northern California. Just a few short years later, his recent break-through success can be characterized by his deeply infectious lyrics, warmly melodic tones, and a refreshingly unique image that the music industry has yet to recognize. (0) comments

Zombie Survival Guide author charismatically entertains Case Western Reserve students

The air inside Thwing Ballroom last Thursday morning was filled with anticipation. Students covered the room to enjoy a discussion with Max Brooks, author of The Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z. As opposed to an average Case lecture, the room bustled with enthusiasm for the writer, with some students even skipping class to attend his talk. (0) comments

Oliver Stone's W. falls short of expectations

I'm a Republican, and I reviewed this movie. For many of you, that'll either be enough reason to stop reading, or a compelling reason to continue reading. How could another political Oliver Stone (Alexander, World Trade Center, Nixon, JFK) film appeal to one of those stupid close-minded Republicans? Well, you're right, in some regard. (1) comment

Just in Case: Worried about partying pals

Recently, all of my friends have begun partying nonstop. They go out at least every other day and come back in the wee hours of the morning, stumbling. They're missing classes, their grades are slipping, and I'm concerned about them. Also, they want me to come along, and I just have no desire to make a fool of myself like that. (0) comments

Sex and Dating: Avoiding awkward hookups

College is the ultimate breeding ground for random hookups. Waiting in line for your stir-fry at Leutner can become very awkward when you see the person you hooked up with last night standing in line in front of you�what was their name again? Those situations can be handled, but what happens when the hook-up is a friend, or an ex? These situations are more difficult to figure out. (0) comments

Worst Case Scenario: Stifling the big-word urge

This week I am taking a break from my usual hilarious antics to present a very important message. For the sake of yourself and mankind in general, I urge you to heed the following: big words are for chumps. Like most college students, I have encountered a lot of unnecessarily complicated words. (0) comments

GLTF shines with other half of fall repertory

How well do you know your fairy tales? After seeing Great Lakes Theater Festival's (GLTF) production of Stephen Sondheim's Into the Woods, you might be questioning your expertise. In Sondheim's world, with the mystical woods as a background, the audience is introduced to a few inhabitants of the woods: the baker and his wife, a boy named Jack with a milky white cow, and a young woman who is practically indentured to her stepmother and two stepsisters. (0) comments

The Secret Ingredient: The many flavors of pumpkin

Fresh pumpkins usually start to appear in October and can be found fairly easily throughout the winter months. Pumpkins are great to have on hand since they can be stored at room temperature for up to a month, or stored in the refrigerator for up to three months. (0) comments

The Buzz

Saturday, Oct.18 Cape Verde is a small republic consisting of an archipelago off of the west coast of Africa that has its own particular culture. The Cleveland Museum of Natural History is hosting the first installment of the Cleveland Museum of Art's Viva! & Gala Around Town series, Lura: The Music of Cape Verde. (0) comments

• Demolition or renovation of Morley building may cost university
  • Have you heard about: Case Dagorhir?
  • Nancy Pelosi visits campus to learn about Great Lakes Institute for Energy Innovation
  • RAD course offers students basic self-defense training
  • Relay for Life hosts kickoff event
  • RTA's Euclid Corridor Project nears completion
  • Student loans: federal vs. private
  • USG ? BRIEF

• Cross Country: Men join women on top at All-Ohios
  • LBJ would be great TE
  • Men's Soccer: Spartans don't give or get goal in Brandeis tie
  • Solid 28-7 win keeps Spartans undefeated
  • Spartan Notebook
  • Spartan Spotlight: Jeff Brown
  • Volleyball drops two in weekend tri-match
  • Women's Soccer: Nothing appealing about loss to Judges

• Sudoku #1 Answers
  • Sudoku Answers #2

• Country visit results in different view of British
  • Editorial: Sculpture collection needs better presentation
  • Either candidate has chance to win in November election
  • Plug-in hybrids not safest choice for drivers

• After years under the radar, Brett Dennen releases new album to rave reviews
  • GLTF shines with other half of fall repertory
  • Just in Case: Worried about partying pals
  • Oliver Stone's W. falls short of expectations
  • Sex and Dating: Avoiding awkward hookups
  • The Secret Ingredient: The many flavors of pumpkin
  • Worst Case Scenario: Stifling the big-word urge
  • Zombie Survival Guide author charismatically entertains Case Western Reserve students